The highly anticipated successor to the now six-year-old D300s, the Nikon D500 – the Japanese giant’s new flagship APS-C sensor DSLR – has already been eagerly supported by several of the major housing manufacturers. Now it’s Ikelite turn, and they’ve really gone to town, with not one but three different housing options, designed to accommodate the needs of different users.
Fashioned out of the company’s distinctive new white ABS-PC material, the three models comprise two depth-rated to 60 metres (200 feet) and aimed at scuba divers, while the third is depth-rated to 15 metres (50 feet), 225 grams lighter, and designed for use in freediving, surf imaging, pool shoots, and the like.
The 200-feet housings differ only by their port mount locking systems. One is equipped with Ikelite’s “Four Lock Port Mount” and supports Ikelite’s older ports for legacy users; the other features the company’s new “Dry Lock Port Mount” system, which boasts a novel exterior O-ring that stops water from dripping onto the camera when removing the port. The new port system accepts the company’s new 8-inch dome, which is designed to be extra compact without loss of optical quality.
Also featuring the new “Dry Lock Port Mount” system, the 50-feet model sports the main controls found on the other two models, but some non-essential controls are absent (i button, Trash button, Key button, and Fn2 button) to simplify operation.
The 200-feet legacy model is priced at $1,395 and will be available in early September. The 50-feet and 200-feet models with the new “Dry Port Lock Mount” cost $1,395 and $1,595, respectively, and can be preordered now for delivery in October. For more information, read the press release below or visit the Ikelite product page.
The “Best Enthusiast DX Offering”
Nikon has finally given us a successor to the D300s camera with fantastic speed and processing power in a relatively compact and durable body. Some highlights include:
- Same 153-point Autofocus system and EXPEED 5 processor as the Nikon D5
- 4K/UHD video recording
- 20.9MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- Excellent low light performance with an ISO range of 100-51,200
- Same rugged weather sealing as the Nikon D810
The D500 is up to almost any photographic challenge—so it’s fitting to offer a housing system that can be built to suit almost any need. Three base housing versions are available to suit the Nikon D500 DSLR camera. Skip to the side-by-side comparison…
All three versions start with a fully functional, white ABS-PC housing front which is depth rated to 200′ (60m)
Form + Function
The D500 slides into the form fitting housing using a simple tripod-style attachment. Controls are provided for all important camera functions and positioned intuitively to take advantage of the muscle memory you develop when using the camera on the surface. A unique universal gearing system puts zoom or focus at the tip of your finger with a brand new soft-touch, 5-lobed knob.
The AF-ON Trick
Take full advantage of the camera’s superb autofocus system and fast continuous frame rate by using AF-ON to lock focus. A convenient lever on the side of the housing feels so natural that we promise you’ll never think about half-pressing the shutter again.
Groovy Groove-less O-ring
O-ring channels trap dirt and debris, and cause the O-ring to twist and deform in various ways. Our unique groove-less design is the most user friendly and reliable sealing method currently available. For added assurance, the all-clear back allows you to see the O-ring form a solid, black line once the housing is sealed.
Optical slaves have come a long way, but electrical sync cords are still the fastest and most precise way to trigger a strobe under water. Each housing comes equipped with a manual flash hot shoe and Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead. The hot shoe and bulkhead are user changeable for in-field modifications and serviceability.
An optional TTL hot shoe and Nikon TTL Converter provide industry leading accuracy in exposure when combined with a compatible Ikelite DS strobe.
The flash system is almost endlessly expandable with lots of options for remote units triggered by extension cords, optical slaves, Pocket Wizards, and more. It’s time to get creative with your lighting and think way beyond the classic two-strobe set-up.
Lens Port Authority
And now… the main event. Introducing the NEW Dry Lock (DL) Port Mount. Building off of our popular port system for compact mirrorless cameras, we have re-designed and refined the concept and it’s ready for the big leagues. Key features include:
- A unique exterior O-ring which prevents water from dripping onto your camera when the port is removed;
- Solid, sure-stop press fit with no threading, turning, or twisting of the ports or extensions;
- Built for reliability in remote locations with standard locking thumbscrews and no complex moving parts;
- Accommodates large diameter lenses with ease;
- A new compact 8″ dome port provides the optical quality of a large dome with the size of a much smaller dome—perfect for close-focus wide angle work;
- Plus the new featherweight full 8″ dome is less than half the weight of its predecessor and several pounds lighter than the glass alternatives with nearly identical optical quality!
Not quite ready to let go of your legacy ports? The Four Lock (FL) version can be sent in at a later date for upgrade to the DL mount. However, our original standard flat, 6″ dome, and modular port components are not adaptable to the new system. We promise that once you switch over, you won’t miss them anyway…
Our new white ABS-PC blend is specially formu
lated for added strength and durability. Compared to black, colored, or clear alternatives, the white shell keeps the camera running cooler, longer in hot, sunny climates.
Two Faced… and Two Backed?
The new 50ft (15m) Water Housing version features a slimmed down acrylic back and paired down control set which is over 1/2 pound lighter and streamlined for use at the surface of the water, in surf and pool work. The two backs are interchangeable and can be purchased separately so you can pack lighter when shooting the whale sharks in Isle Mujeres or dolphins in the Red Sea.
Three housing versions are available to suit the Nikon D500 DSLR camera. All versions feature:
- Controls for Shutter-release button, Power switch, Movie-record button, Sub-command dial, Exposure compensation (+/-) button, ISO button, MODE button, WB button, Metering button, BKT button, Lens release button, AF-ON button, Main command dial, Multi selector, Info button, Live view selector, Lv button, i button, Playback button, Trash button, MENU button, Key/? button, Magnify + button, Magnify – button, OK button, Fn2 button
- Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead and manual flash hot shoe
- Aluminum base with Left-Hand Quick Release Handle
- A completely clear back for an unobstructed view of the camera and O-ring seal
- Control symbols laser etched into the back for easy to read labeling that will never fade or rub off
- A quick install camera mount plate which does not need to be removed for battery or memory card access
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
All versions are available for pre-order now through your local Authorized Ikelite Dealer. Product numbers and pricing will be made available before the end of August for the new DL port chart components; optional TTL flash hot shoe; optional vacuum system components; and much more! Keep visiting the website for the latest details.
Like the other manufacturers, we were born out of a passion for photography in and under water. It’s our extra 50 years of experience, 100% USA-based production team, and our dedicated customer support staff that set us apart. This exciting new line of housings offer an unparalleled versatility and functionality for truly professional performance. Your Nikon D500 camera… anywhere there’s water.