The United Nations World Oceans Day 2022 takes place on 8 June 2022, with the theme Revitalisation: Collective Action for the Ocean. This day serves to develop a worldwide momentum for the world’s population to take action in the conservation and sustainable management of the world’s oceans. The World Oceans Week is similarly commemorated on the week that World Oceans Day falls upon. In 2021, the United Nations launched the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) in an effort to reverse the deterioration in ocean health and rally worldwide support for the conservation of our oceans. The conservation of the marine realm is of utmost importance as it is the largest component of the Earth’s system that stabilizes climate and support life on Earth and human well-being.
In 2020, the ADEX Pixel Expo was launched and celebrates World Oceans Week each year with daily LIVE! Webinars. This year, in commemoration of World Oceans Week 2022, and in line with the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, the ADEX will be organising a beach clean-up session on 11 June at Sentosa, supplementing our LIVE! Webinars happening on 9 and 10 June.
Sentosa is a common haunt for water sports enthusiasts and beachgoers, with its golden sandy beaches. The island has a long historical background before it became the famous tourist destination it is today. The area houses three beaches, namely – Siloso, Tanjong and Palawan, span across approximately a 2km coastline together. However, with the influx of human traffic at these beaches, the amount of man-made litter has tainted the well-loved beaches.
ADEX is organising this beach clean-up at Sentosa in an effort to contribute to the maintenance of the cleanliness of our local beaches, and to raise awareness about the importance of ocean and environmental conservation to the public. This clean-up session will hopefully kick-start a series of clean-up efforts by ADEX in the future. We believe that sustained effort in this is necessary in bringing about an effective change in the public’s perception about ocean and environmental conservation.
Participants are welcomed to take part in this beach clean-up project to create a more sustainable and litter-free environment at our local beaches. The event is free for all to join and logistics required for the clean-up will be provided by us. Participants can look forward to a sharing from our sponsors after the clean-up too. Free gifts will also be given to all participants, which include:
- Asian Geographic Blue Green 360 magazine (No.148) worth SGD10
- Asian Diver Infographic magazine (No. 161) worth SGD10
- Asian Geographic umbrella worth SGD25
- M Aesthetics Active Lifting Sunscreen Mist
- First 25 sign-ups will also be entitled to a Diveaholic T-shirt worth SGD38. Sizes of the shirts can be chosen on a first come first serve basis, while stocks last.
More about Asian Geographic Blue Green 360 Edition (No.148)
In this issue of Asian Geographic, dubbing it our “Blue and Green Edition”, we will take a look at the world above and below the water’s surface. Discover the beauty of Mother Nature on land and in the water, through stories that will pay tribute to our luscious rainforests and expansive oceans, whilst shedding light on the reality of global warming and the impact it has had on Mother Nature.
More about Asian Diver Infographic magazine (No. 161)
In the final issue of the year, this edition of Asian Diver will be your ultimate visual guide for your next dive trip. Learn about the Australian giant cuttlefish that mate in the warm waters of the tropical Australian coast before diving into the most comprehensive collection of diving and marine infographics. Everything and anything you will need to know about sharks, turtles and other marine lives are rounded up with a holistic list of do’s and don’ts when diving in the deep blue waters.
Details of the event are as follow:
- Venue: Siloso beach, Sentosa (Assembly point: Emerald Pavilion)
- Date: 11 June 2022, Saturday
- Time: 9a.m. – 12p.m.
- Programme outline:
- 9a.m. – Assemble at Emerald Pavilion
- 9.30a.m. – Start of beach clean-up
- 11.30a.m. – End of beach clean-up, Quantifying of litter collected
- 12p.m. – Dismissal
Event Partners and Sponsors
This event is organized by Underwater360, in association with the National University of Singapore and Blu Hope, with our free gift sponsored by A.M Aesthetics.
- Underwater360 offers entertaining and digestible content for diving enthusiasts, supported by ADEX, Asian Diver, Scuba Diver AUSTRALASIA and Scuba Diver OCEAN PLANET.
- The National University of Singapore (NUS) is Singapore’s flagship university, with a strong emphasis on nurturing leaders for a more sustainable future, finding sustainability and urban solutions, and developing a climate resilient campus. NUS is committed to advancing sustainable development and contributing to the global fight against climate change.
- The Blu Hope campaign works with an extensive list of partners and celebrities to gather resources, expertise and networks to bring about a positive change throughout UNESCO Ocean Decade and beyond. Blu Hope is being supported by many important figures including Sir David Attenborough and the Foreign & Commonwealth network across South-East Asia, Australasia and Pacific Islands.
- A.M Aesthetics values skills and expertise in aesthetic to produce an effective makeover that would boost clients’ youthfulness and confidence. The advanced technology used by A.M Aesthetics also ensures that clients receive the best service and makeover experience possible.
In tandem with this project, students are also encouraged to join Asian Geographic’s inaugural Hot Soup School Challenge, happening on 16 September (10a.m.), at Sands Expo & Convention Centre. Simply form teams of four to sign up for the event, and stand a chance to win a 4D3N trip to Bohol or Coron in the Philippines, sponsored by the Tourism Promotion Board Philippines. Participants of the Hot Soup School Challenge will be entitled to a complimentary entry to the ADEX Ocean Vision 2022, taking place from 16 to 18 September (10a.m. to 7p.m. daily), at Sands Expo & Convention Centre. More information about the Hot Soup School Challenge can be found here https://www.asiangeo.com/hot-soup-school-challenge/#1497441026095-55a7ceb8-5bea.